7.25.2012

My Alaska Adventure // part I

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sometimes I ask myself how so much could happen in ten days. I remember how the trip started: arriving at 5 A.M. in Anchorage and driving straight to a breakfast place. Entering a dimly, greenly-lit diner with a huge taxidermy bear splat in the center. Having a monstrous plate of reindeer sausage with scrambled eggs and home fries placed in front of me. Forcing myself to eat.

Marveling at the snow on the mountains (it's summer, people!) and being able to see my breath. Getting car sick about two hours into our long drive to another town and feeling the reindeer sausage churn with a vengeance. I never hated a car ride so much in my life. The rest of the day we climbed up a mountain to see a glacier, drove a few more hours, and swam in an Olympic pool before we finally passed out on some church pews padded with sleeping bags. A day to remember, that's for sure. May I quickly and solemnly thank God for dramamine in this moment. It later saved me from dying of nausea many a day.

Suffice it to say, I could dwell on the first days of sightseeing for hours. We saw many more rooms overflowing with taxidermy pieces, ate at cozy breakfast spots, fed reindeer, went moose watching, and swam in an outdoor hot springs that smelled like rotten eggs; and I can now say I've eaten bear chili, caribou jerky, reindeer sausage, and moose burgers. Alaskan's have an interesting diet.

The first few days were filled with staring out a window at the scenery, which was so breathtaking I felt like I was driving through a travel magazine; and the sun never really set, so it always seemed like 4:00 P.M., even if it was midnight! And honestly, that was only the beginning.

By now, I'm sure you're wondering about the actual missions part of the trip? Well, I believe I'll save that for part II -- just because.

Note: I want to say thank you to all of my amazing guest posters! Weren't they awesome?

25 comments:

  1. beautiful pictures! can't wait to read more about your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos! I can't wait to hear more about alaska! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to hear more about it. Geez'la'wheez, didn't think that you'd be that adventurous with food. [not sure if I could have done the chili] I can see you on the next "Bizarre Foods" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, so jealous right now! and that picture of you is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your trip sounds AMAZING! I'd love to try a moose burger someday :) all the pictures are lovely and I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm reindeer sausage... :9 It sounds so goood, I want to try some! ;)

    Great pictures, Kimberley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that's quite an adventure! Cannot wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the mountains! These are absolutely stunning! <3

    eve @ essence of eve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! So stunning. ..and I'm so proud of you, I don't think I would have had the courage to eat all that and than get in a car!!

    Can't believe how beautiful it all looks...i must say again, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest deary dear,

    You are FINALLY back!!!!! It's been quite too long, with you probably thinking it was too short. But I've missed you anyways, if that counts for anything.

    Firstly, I've noticed the cool kid sunglasses in one of the pictures. I assume those are the ones you were talking about. They are very hipster. And by the way, I find it way cool that you ate Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer. You must tell me how he tasted. ;)

    Those pictures, my dear... They are too awesome for words. And why again were you worrying about not being able to take good enough pictures. Sometimes you are such a wifty child, Kimberly dear. I LOVE the one on the bus with the mountains in the background. It's so beautiful.

    Now I shall be jealous till you spill. Hurry up and come hang out! And stop being bloody tired, we had to fend off the guys at the pier alone because you were too tired that night. Pooh! ;)
    Love,
    Becks
    P.S. Yes, I just had to throw a postscript in here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous! can't wait to see more of these :) glad you're back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My-word-this-is-just-a-little-too-amazing. Why, yes! - It is. OH and, 424 followers? -- just WHEN did that happen?!

    xx Acacia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! Now I want to go to Alaska! Looks like you had loads of fun.=) Nice pictures, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEAUTIFUL. I simply must go to Alaska now. @.@

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like so much fun :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks beautiful!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This reminds me of the movie Into The Wild. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wah, great pics ! just stumbled upon your blog and I really love it!
    x


    D a n i e l l e | daniellewu.com
    ps. I am hosting a giveaway on my blog and I would love it if you won! :) Enter to win artwork by Mui-ko!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yellow looks wonderful on you love!
    Such an fun post love!
    Id love for you to stop by my blog and enter my $50 forever 21 giveaway and check out my latest posts!
    XOXO
    Morgan Brooks
    http://thesocialboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds lovely! Alaska really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard that once you go to Alaska nothing else seems as cool. Your pictures are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. funnn. can't wait to see part II. my husband just finished fishing in alaska! i wish i could've flown there this year. it looks beautiful as always!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this makes me wanna go to alaska. stat.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.