7.10.2012

Alaska here I come!


In about six hours, I'll be up-up-and-away. My destination is Alaska, and our mission is to build houses. The truth is, I still can't believe I'm doing this; ever since our youth group mentioned it, I wasn't certain whether or not I would go. The journey towards this moment was far more then I could have imagined, when after days of indecision, I finally decided in my heart and mind to go.

Growing up, I always heard stories about God's provision and miracles, but I never had a story of my own. With college looming closely in the distance, I wasn't sure if I'd have enough time or money to enjoy the trip. Oddly enough, I didn't worry half as much for the first six months of fundraising as worrywart-me is generally inclined to. I thought I was pretty close to paying off the trip, when I learned that I was only halfway to the goal of $2000. At that point, my confidence that I was going to pay off the trip fully through my own work and fundraising shrunk considerably. My realistic side kicked in: Mom and Dad can help me pay off the trip and maybe some graduation cards will fill in the gaps. But my insides cringed at the thought; this wasn't how I'd wanted it to go down. God was supposed to provide for the trip, not Mom and Dad. I knew and believe now that God wanted me to go on this mission trip, and there was a strong peace inside me -- a well spring of hope that I knew didn't come from my own selfish wants.

After a series of wonderful events, my church did a garage sale for me, and I was now only about $500 away from the goal. At that point, I figured we could pay the trip off without feeling too bad about it, but God had a different plan. In the last two weeks before the trip, miracles happened. I received jobs from people I'd never met before in my entire life. I ended up staying with a lady who had Alzheimer's, doing yard work, and helping a lady move (we cleared out a 40 foot container full of stuff!). It was all physically and emotionally stressful, but I could see God's hand preparing me for the mission trip through the work I was being offered. Afterwards, I was so close to the final goal. I could fill in the last few gaps! But God never does anything halfway (like I always do). At my final Sunday at church before the trip, there was an outpouring of donations, and the trip's now completely paid off. I still can't believe it.

Let's just say it didn't happen the way I had planned. Circumstances failed me, people failed me, and I failed myself, but through it all God showed himself more faithful then I could ever deserve. This journey was not only a miraculous story for myself, but a very humbling one. I realize how undeserving I am of God's mercy and love and provision, and it fills me up with a thankfulness that's hard to describe.

So here I am, only five hours to go until we're flying off and away. The best part? This journey's only started. Alaska here I come!

P.S. I'll be back in a little over a week! Please enjoy the guest posters! There are a few surprises coming your way.

14 comments:

  1. So exciting!! I've always wanted to go to Alaska! Have fun! And also, I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we'll enjoy the guests, BUT, we'll definitely miss you!

    Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Have a great time, Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your trip goes well! It must feel wonderful to be going on this trip to do His will. I have always wanted to go places to help people, that is not currently the Lord's plan for me. I pray that whatever His plans for me are that I can serve Him.

    Rachel Keeth // Lavender & Honey

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was truly inspiring, Kimberley. :) So glad that you're able to go! Take lots of pics! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is so good!!! It's amazing to see your trust and His provision though your post. I'm so glad you get to go to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so cool how God answered you+made your way clear.Have an amazing time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a wonderfully exciting story! and awesome. God is awesome. and you'll have a really great week. alaska? yes, i'm hoping for lots of pictures! and of the wonderful people you're sure to meet and get to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, wow, and WOW! what a wonderful opportunity! have an amazing time, love&serve God more, take too many pictures and enjoy yourself.

    we'll miss you!

    -acacia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, praise God! He is so faithful! May He bless your trip and your willingness to serve Him with joy! Have an incredible time!

    xo
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. so excited for you, girl! that story is so inspiring. have an awesome awesome awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying that you will touch lives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm SO excited for what the Lord is going to do in your life over this trip. I love seeing how God provided for you. He is so faithful to our hearts and desires. I can't wait to hear about it when you get back! Have an amazing time! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a wonderful story!! God really showed u His hand in all this....maybe a taste of the wonderful miracles His will work for you at college.....

    Can't wait for the guest posts.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.