6.01.2012

short stories: chasing eliot

Photobucket
Last winter, I started to collect stamps. It started when I received a postcard from my uncle who was travelling through Egypt at the time. Maybe it was the majestic picture of the Pyramid of Khufu or his bold, scrawled handwriting informing me of his adventures that did the trick, but either way, from that moment forward I carefully peeled off the stamp from every envelope I could find and placed it in an empty metal tin.

“I would collect stamps from all over the world and someday travel to each one!” Such were my inward and very private musings.
However, my older brother Eliot soon became suspicious of my curious behavior. He and I shared a bedroom, and I noticed him on occasion peering  singularly at the square tin on my desk. Quickly afterwards I moved it deep into one of my clothes drawers. I thought this smart move had cleared me of any chance of discovery; but perhaps I shouldn’t have rummaged through the trash for discarded envelopes and then run up to my room with a stamp so obviously every time after a successful hunt; but the excitement which pervaded each new addition to my collection was too much to contain. My nine year old mind was not then educated in the maliciousness of brotherly jealousy.
One afternoon, my mother ordered Eliot and I to clean out the attic of a few boxes my grandfather had taken the liberty of storing there about a decade ago. It all happened far to quickly. The first box I opened had a small letter stacked on top of a pile of books. The stamp on the envelope looked very old and exceedingly valuable.  With glee, I eagerly snatched up the letter and proceeded to remove the stamp when, in a flash, it was suddenly taken from me.

"What're you doing?" Eliot scoffed, examining the half-removed stamp. "You're collecting these, aren't you?"
My feeble whimper was enough of an affirmative.
He abruptly tore off the stamp from the envelope and scurried down the attic stairs. I followed as quickly as I could and chased him into the kitchen.
"Give it back! It's mine!" I yelled, entering through the doorway.
He was faster, though, and sped into the dining room. We had a tiring chase around the table, and for the millionth time in my life, I despised being the younger brother. My short, stubby legs didn't permit me to catch up to Eliot's giant leaps. I felt the unequalness of our match with physical pain and therefore resorted to screeching loudly. But giving Eliot a moment of idleness wasn't wise; out of the corner of my eye, I saw an orange flash. By the time I understood what was happening, Eliot was holding up the stamp and grinning triumphantly as the orange flame ate the paper up and left a black crinkle between his fingers.
"No!" I cried, my voice raising an octave in animalistic desperation. I couldn't move.
My bleary vision saw my mother approaching down the hall. “What’s going on in here?” She  demanded as her figure filled the doorway.
But it was too late.

14 comments:

  1. wow. you write so well, kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, poor kid. :( Great job with the writing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no :( I love this by the way!

    xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com
    I have a new giveaway on my blog if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whaaaat this is so depressing! I'M SO SAD FOR THAT POOR CHILD NOW. why did you do that to me?!
    hahah, kidding dear. this was lovely. and the fact that I'm slightly upset for the kid shows that your writing was enough to draw me in. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing and sad!
    well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, how sad! But, oh my, girl, you can write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dang. kudos on your writing skills

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello dear,

    Can you believe it? Truly, truly, I say to you, I have returned!!! I am comfortably resided at my home, once more, where wearing nightclothes late into the day is perfectly acceptable. Nay, encouraged, by one's self of course.

    And may I just say, I think I shall attempt to write enough to cover all the blundering fools who didn't comment on this post. Seriously, what was in their ickle minds when they decided not to tell you how bloody good you are at writing, and how much this is soooo good.

    I know, they're just jealous... that's ok, though, I'm jealous, too. Seeriously Kim, dear, do you have to be like this. Every once in a while, I ask myself, "Why is Kimberly so perfect? Why?" Then I guess it's just the way you were born. Perfect, perfect.

    Ugh, and even though he's the evil one, I love the name Eliot. So good! You must council me in my naming of characters. I always name them heedlessly stupid names.

    I love you and can't wait to see you THIS weekend... (are you prepared, I'm not prepared, oh well).

    Love,
    Becks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one is prepared, not even the Thatcher girls....

      Delete
    2. Dear Becks,

      Love you tons. And miss you loads. And love you bunches. That's all.

      Hugs,
      Muah

      Delete
  9. Wonderful story, Kim, though terribly sad. In a few strokes of the quill you made me feel and breathe. Now THAT'S what I'm talk'en bout. Encore, encore!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie dear! More stories coming soon, promise. Can't wait to see you sooooon!!

      Delete
  10. sad face:( Very well written, bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.