1.05.2012

make your own tomato pincushion

Photobucket

They are plump and fuzzy and perfect for stabbing. Okay, it's a pincushion, calm down.  The moment I came across these adorable tomato pincushions, I just had to make a few. I am always searching for unique gift ideas, and these are perfect for any friends or family who love sewing, though if you're like me, you'll end up making a few for yourself along the way.

Here's what you will need to begin:

fabric // felt // a sewing machine // polyester fiber // thick twine or thread

Photobucket

Step one: Cut a 5x8 piece of cloth. This makes an approx. 3 inch wide pincushion. Fold it in half to make a square. Make sure the cloth is inside out.

Photobucket
Step two: Sew along the dotted lines shown on the above picture. Then, across from the open end, gather the thread and bunch it up. I tighten it as best I can and then wrap the remaining thread around the top and knot it tight. Then flip it inside out.
Photobucket
Step three: Stuff your little piece of cloth with as much polyester fiber as it can contain without exploding. I know that sand is also a popular stuffer for pincushions, and it also keeps your needles sharp. Not sure whether it would leak out, though. 
Photobucket

Step four: Thread a needle with any type of twine you will be using to create sections on your tomato. Tie a knot at the end of a long piece of twine (about a 18 inches) and poke from the top of the tomato to the bottom. Pull your needle through and continue to bring the needle from the top of the tomato to the bottom, creating as many sections as you like. I created five.
Then pull the needle to the top of the tomato and tie a knot.

Photobucket

Step five: Now you must make the top "leafy" part of your tomato out of felt. You can trace it directly on the felt if you like and then cut it out. Any sort of star-like shape works.

Photobucket

Step six: Use some hot glue or fabric tack to secure your felt top onto your tomato. Wah-la, you are done and are left with an adorable pincushion to spruce up your sewing box.

Photobucket

So, friends, what do you think of this little pincushion?

The first week of this new year has been rather busy, and with school beginning, I feel almost suffocated with my Physics textbook again. It is hard to fathom that this is my last year of high school. Only a few months to go and I shall cross the finish line; and you know what people always do just before the finish line, right? They use all of the strength left in them to reach it victoriously. I feel myself straining to reach that goal.

Hope everyone is beginning a wonderful 2012.

15 comments:

  1. that is so cute! i love tomato pin cushions. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely adorable and the fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! Did your mom enjoy her's?......love this crafty blog. Pictures are very clear and directions too.....I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, they are so cute! I love the floral fabirc you used. I may just have to make couple of these. :)

    xoxo,
    --Abi :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that. is. adorable. oh my goodness! :) i don't think i'll try, however, as i'd have utterly no use for it. but i'll keep it in mind for others' gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. D'AWWW!!! this could hardly be cuter, and I can't wait to make one :)
    xoxo
    simi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that is just adorable. Those are so much cuter and prettier than regular old 'red' pin cusions. I should try this...

    Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! If I could sew, I would totally make one.;) I've been searching the internet for seems hours (but really isn't:P) for a good craft to do something cool for my bedroom but... I can't find anything! I know you always post awesome craft ideas, so... what are some of your favourite's?! Thanks!:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, so cute! and even though this is a tutorial, they're all still beautiful pictures; as always. (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute! Your more a victor then I, you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute and wonderful photos of the process. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Hugs - Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute. I'm trying to make one right now, but not sure how a 5x8 folded in half makes a SQUARE. It makes a rectangle. Does that matter? Which way do you fold it in half first? Long ways or short ways?? I'm going to try another site. Thanks. Yours are very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.