1.12.2012

Days with Dad

A crisp front of wind hit my cheeks, making them tingle and fall numb at the same time. The cold air shocked my lungs; I ran straight for the patch of lemon trees. There was something romantically picturesque about the yellow pebbles weighing down the bountiful branches.

Photobucket Photobucket

Our days with Dad hold a special place in my heart. The memories of frantically catching butterflies with a net for a school project (I can't help smiling, thinking about how ridiculous I must have looked jumping around), pulling weeds, getting cuts from pesky bougainvillea hedges, pruning, raking, escaping from wasps a dozen times and then finally getting stung (why me?), catching guppies in a pond countless times, shoveling dirt, walks through the mountain with two dogs named Chief and Bandit (some of the coolest dogs I've met), climbing trees like monkeys, funeral services for rolly pollies, and the list goes on.

Lately though, my days at work with Dad have grown sparse. My brothers and I used to squeeze into his truck nearly everyday during the summers to work (and play) with him. However, as we've grown older, our summer days are usually filled with other activities. However, during this past winter vacation, I finally decided to tag along for a day with Dad and Nathan.

Photobucket

The mountain air was delicious. After snapping photos of the lemons, I ran for the strawberry plants I remembered were freshly planted from my last visit. Oh, they had grown! I searched the leafy plants and found a few succulent red gems -- the sweetest, juiciest strawberries I ever tasted -- but maybe that was just the glory of plucking the fruit for myself speaking.

Photobucket Photobucket

Nathan snapped a few shots of me next to the pond I had as a child so often peered into in search of a shiny-tailed guppy. Once I had possessed three bowls full of them, and one of the female guppies surprised us by having over ten babies which I tended to. Sadly, many of them were eaten (by their own mother, horrors!) but a few did survive and eventually were placed back into their proper home.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The willow tree was swaying in the wind, it's graceful branches stirring my inner love for Montgomery. I almost saw Anne Shirley reading a book of Virgil under it's shade. Dad and Nathan finished loading the truck with dead branches. Nathan found a birds nest and kindly posed for the winning shot.
Photobucket

On the way home, we stopped by a huge cliff on the side of the mountain. Nathan and I climbed down the incline and found ourselves next to a peaceful stream which fell off into a tricking waterfall. I had a slight moment of hysteria as I looked down the precipice -- I wandered to the left and started shouting out to Nathan as I stood on a patch of grass -- "There could be a hole in this grass! I'm going to fall through! There's a hole!" I blindly stumbled through the surrounding danger zone, in a state of laughing and lightheadedness. I finally came back to the safe zone. My mind calmed.

The stream's water was icy cold, the bubbling laughter it created made me ache with a desire to have such a stream by our home. The grass was green, the shrubs content. The rocks smoothed by the water's flow. A peaceful bower for the weary and heavy laden. I could have sat there for the rest of the day, but it was time to go back. We left the fairy land of beauty and drove home.

Days with Dad soften my heart.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. The photos are gorgeous and your description of the time you spend with your dad is so precious. I'm sure he was incredibly happy to spend the time with you :)

    p.s. I love your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your outfit is fabulous. just wanted to put that out there. i adore this post. seriously. the photos, the descriptions, everything. je adore. seriously. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. #8 is stunning. 'Nuff said. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww.. that is so sweet! I love it when me and my Daddy get to work together. Absolutely lovely photos!

    Gabby

    http://ambitioushomemaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, talk about accomplished writers. This post was absolutely lovely! (for some odd reason I keep using the word absolutely).

    I loved the pictures, especially of the birds nest and of you. Those were so cute. Did I ever tell you how I knew Nathan gave you that shirt?

    The part about Montgomery, made me shiver with delight. Oh, to find my own little montgoemry plot. Haha, I was almost sure those weren't your hands in the birdsnest shots.

    Thank you for happiness, and whimsy writing, which puts me in such a imaginative state, it's really lovely.

    Love,
    Becks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I loved this post. It was as if we were enjoying conversation over a cup of tea.
    Yes, there is something calming about the presence of a father.
    Toodles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful post, kimberly! I love your lemon pictures.
    days with dads are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. (letting you know that I tagged you in a post today: GEC: eleven things four times and to comment on THIS post...)

    The color in these pictures are beyond lovely. Gorgeous! Oh dear, guppies. Have you ever read the book Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary? If you haven't, there's one part of the book where he goes to the pet store and buys a pair of guppies, and they start having babies and then those babies start having babies and it gets so out of control that when it comes time for Mrs Huggins to use her preserve jars, she can find them. She goes up to Henry's room and finds them aaaall lined around the walls of his room filled with water and... guppies. It's more for middle school readers, but good all the same. :)

    I absolutely adore that second photo of you! I showed my dad your post on grace (he's a pastor) and he really liked it and said, "what tenderness and majesty shown in those pretty pictures of a little nest!" Thought you would like to hear what an adult thought of it. :)

    All around wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rebekah, aw, thanks, dear. And yes, you did tell me that you know Nathan gave me that shirt. How you figured it out I still don't know. ;)
    Oh, just thinking about Montgomery makes me happy, too.

    @MaryRachel, no, I haven't read the book Henry Huggins, but it sounds pretty hilarious. :) Aw, thank you so much for letting me know what you dad thought about my blog post. It is so special!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.