11.17.2011

The Romanian Scarf

Photobucket
Photobucket 
Photobucket 
Photobucket

It was bundled up in a drawer, mixed with stockings and other scraps of fabric. I was rummaging through, trying to find a small purse. However, before I came upon it the bright checkered cloth flashed before my eyes -- a red mass which ignited my curiosity. Quickly, I snatched it out and asked, "what's this?"

Oh, just an old scarf bought in Romania, was my mother's reply. To me, though, it instantly became a treasure. I can imagine my mom coming upon it at a small shop, trying to select the perfect pattern. There are piles of them, all different colors, all types of shapes. Finally, she picks up this one. Red and flowing and light. It is the one. She wears it through the street. The signs of a foreign language are placed everywhere; a sort of gibberish is constantly uttered in marketplaces and hotels. It doesn't matter, though, because they are used to it by now. When they finally pack up to traverse through the next country, the scarf is folded and placed in a suitcase. It travels through Europe, to Asia, to Hawaii. It has traveled far more then I.

It is older then me, too. This scarf has a story. That's why it's so special.

18 comments:

  1. Instant treasure for sure!

    Girl, did you cut your hair??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute!
    Although I can't help but mention that the people wore red scarves in Communist Romania. Richard Wurmbrands son, if I remember correctly, got in trouble for refusing to wear one. This is interesting! Although a red scarf is fine, I wonder if it was sold for that. :)
    ok, you might think this was judgemental, I just thought it was interesting that it was red and came from Romania! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure! I wish I could find things like that around my house sometimes! :)
    I really really really love your outfit!! Where are your jeans from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is very cute! I love old things......I remeber finding my great-grandma's crocheted doilies in my mom's hope-chest....gotta love those 'hidden' treasures.....and yes your hair is very cute!

    ps....is it another go at the curling????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this scarf! So authentic (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful, especially the story behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the scarf is cute!!the pattern is very pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To everyone who asked about my hair: No, I haven't cut it or curled it. I simply placed it in a really messy sort of updo. :)

    @Olivia, thanks so much! I bought my jeans from Delias. They were originally flare out jeans, but I sewed them into skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Story Kimberly... I saw the word Romania and gave a little yelp. my parents we're missionary's to RO for over 11 years, so that's why it caught my attention when I saw it on my dashboard, :D

    Johanna Grace
    http:kidsonthefarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I just adore when I uncover a treasure like that in my house and then find out the story behind it. :)

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute pix! Don't you love hearing those stories? And it's so cool to then have an item from that time in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definatly a tresure! I loved this post Kimberly, it was so well written. :)

    xoxo, hayley

    ReplyDelete
  13. AhhhhSOME!!!!! Seriously it is adorable. And I do have an affinity to anything with history to it. Or just antiques. I like to read old books and imagine whose hands had held this a hundred years ago.

    Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent. I also love you outfit which is beyond cute. And the fact it was bought in Romania makes it fifty times awesomer. Have you noticed I tend to jump around in my writing, this usually makes me a terrible letter writer.

    Anyways, hope to see you soon.
    Love,
    Your Becks

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your outfit; and you are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the story of the scarf; things that are imbued with history are so much more fun to wear and cherish. And your outfit is just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a special treasure! the scarf looks beautiful on you : )
    ~Holly
    http://rosesandbluebells98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.