10.20.2011

Carrot Cake Recipe


Monday was my mother's birthday. I don't know a person in the world who deserved a wonderful birthday more then my mom did; and there are few things she enjoys more then good food. Therefore, when her special day came around, I couldn't think of a better gift then to make a fancy Chinese dinner followed by her favorite dessert -- carrot cake!


I am not sure whether most people are generally partial to this unusual cake flavor, but ever since we have had a particular amazingly-delicious recipe for it, I have considered it one of my favorite desserts. It is moist and flavorful, topped with a sugary cream cheese frosting which compliments it perfectly. Let's just say I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (actually, I already have eaten it for all three of those meals).

Also, seeing that it's fall, I believe this orange cake is quite appropriate for the season.



Carrot Cake

4 eggs
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2  teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking power
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup raisins (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a 9X13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking power, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated over for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack an cool completely.

Tip: I usually line my pan with wax paper to remove it from the pan easily.

For the frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost cooled cake.

Enjoy!

And I am terribly sorry about exlucding the last part of the recipe until now! I honestly forgot about it!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Aunty Racheal! I'm sorry I missed the chance to say it in person....but please tell you momma that Sarah say's " Many happy returns of the year...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your mother. I have nevereverever liked carrot cake but my dad loves it. Might give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I think I may have to make some carrot cake now, that sounds SO good! ;) Happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm. one of my favorite cakes in the whole world! I don't like raisins, but I love the cake so much, I'll always pick around them:-) Your recipe says optional, so that makes my heart happy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I LOVE carrot cake! Pretty pictures, as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious. carrot cake is my mom's favorite too. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, yummy. Tell your Mom Happy happy birthday from me, please. I hope she has had a wonderful day that no doubt she deserves (you youngins' are suuch trouble sometimes ;)).

    Ahhh, I really feel like eating that frosting off the cake.
    I must try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your mom! That carrot cake looks delish--my parents had carrot cake for their wedding, so we always eat it on their anniversary :)
    ~simi

    ReplyDelete
  9. KaPSH! My family's carrot cake recipe is the best!! (Doesn't everyone say this?) I may have to mail or email it to you (although I prefer snail mail. It's more fun. But first you'd have to write *me* that way I'd have your address. WHEE!)
    Anyways, my recipe has some crushed pineapple, and raisins in the recipe. And. It. Is. Divine.
    Love the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love carrot cake and this one seems so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh that cake looks fabulously delicious! great birthday present for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy!

    *Confession Time* I've never actually had carrot cake! My mom loves it, but not with raisins or nuts or anything like that {shes pretty plain...and so am i!}. I love baking & I've been meaning to get in the kitchen and make a carrot cake. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very nutritious. My grandparents should be on a diet and I think this nutritious cake will be perfect for them. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.