9.21.2011

Introducing Perry: My New DSLR!

This happy feeling. It's a good felling; but it is also heaped with expectation. Expectation on me, on my ability, and on the beautiful camera I now own. That's right, friends! I have officially joined the amazing photographers out there who have made the leap from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR!

Squeal. Jump up and down. Repeat.


No editing was done to the above photo. I am so excited to finally not have to edit the life out of every picture I take. It's literally going to save me hours! It also adds to the joy of taking a photo. Oh, photography is going to be a great adventure now (there is just so much to learn!).

I suppose I should elaborate a teeny bit on how I choose my particular DSLR; it took several weeks of deliberation before a verdict could finally be drawn. There are so many cameras on the market, it at times felt impossible to choose the one that perfectly suited me. However, through all my searching, I was leaning towards a Canon. I almost choose a Nikon, but eventually ran back into the arms of Canon simply because I am more familiar with their brand. It was completely personal preference, and there is no denying Nikon has some very beautiful DLSRs.

Eventually I settled on the Canon T3, which was more within the price range I (and my parents) felt comfortable with. After receiving it in the mail yesterday, I do not feel even a tinge of regret with my choice.

I know God has a plan for me and my new camera. I love it dearly already, and have named it Perry. That's right, Perry. It's a...guy, yeah. I just love that name, though. I have been writing down all of my favorite names on a small cupboard I have in my room (all the names are from books I love), and Perry and Pip are two of my favorites, but Perry won.

Here a just a few snapshots I have taken the past two days. No editing!




(A lovely card from a lovely friend).


I have absolutely no idea how to take pictures of direct sunlight. Um, I'll be working on it. It was fun to see that bit o' color appear, though.





 Yes, my mirror desperately needs to be cleaned...


Why yes, my glasses are broken. They are truly the saddest pair of spectacles I have ever seen. I am missing the right wire that goes behind my ear and the right plastic thing (no idea what the technical terms are for those articles) that goes on the nose to hold them on comfortably. Sigh.


Thankfully, this is only the beginning. I have so much to learn, and I hope this blog can be a record of me growing in my photography, in my life, in my character. In everything.

PostScript: Be sure to enter my giveaway if you haven't yet!

19 comments:

  1. wow! That's super exciting!!!! I'm so happy for you. :)
    I can't wait to see more pictures from it!
    big hugs, xxxx~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hello Perry, It is nice to meet you! I would like to introduce you to my friend Nikki! Maybe we can get together to take pictures!!!!"

    So excited for you! Exploring the great big world of camera's !!!! Yeah!!!! We HAVE to get together and 'ohhh....ahhhhh!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I'm in the process of earning enough moola to buy the very same Cannon Rebel as you :) I've also already picked out a name: Jackson. Yup. 'cause he's a rebel, get it? Ah, never mind if you don't. I just happen to be very fond of the Civil War era.

    -Gwyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I'm so jealous! but your photos are beautiful, as well as the camera itself(:
    congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, good I'm glad to see you got my card. ;);) I love the pictures. Congrats on the new camera. Napua and I are searching for a camera for ourselves. Any advice?

    So what book is Perry from (dare I guess, Emily of New Moon? Or is it another awesome book)? Of course Pip is good ol' dickens.

    As you can see I'm already enjoying the freedom of commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaagh! Congratulations! I remember when I brought home my Nikon D3000 (this past June). It was quite a wonderful, exciting feeling! Your photos are beautiful already. Can't wait to see more. Eeep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures Kim!!

    guess what?

    I'm Laura's sister! i can't believe i found your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sarah, yes, we ought to let Perry and Nikki meet very soon! Sounds like a plan!

    @Rebekah, awesome, what kind of camera were you guys thinking about buying? And yes, the name Perry is from Emily of the New Moon! ;)

    @Miss. Emily, I knew it was you once I saw your name! Hehe. It is really neat that you found my blog! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting! :) I can't wait to see the photos you take!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks!!!!

    do you want an invite to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Miss. Emily, sure, that would be great. I didn't know you had a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY! Can't wait to see all the amazing photography. You already took beautiful shots with your point-and-shoot, so there's definitely more to come with your new DSLR :)

    Feel free to email Dave if you have any questions. He'll be more than happy to help for sure!

    Miss you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Pameala, miss you all too! Hope you're doing well, and thank you, I will certainly contact Dave if I need some photography advice. :)
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Que jealousy... lol He is absolutely beautiful! Love all of the pictures you took too. They're all so clear and crisp. Photography from DSLRs just make me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great about getting a new camera! Have fun.(:

    this-real-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. yay! a new camera!! {i'm afraid i covet it....}


    aspiringteenauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love getting a new camera. feels so goood!!! congrats! have fun with it! :) xoxo kylie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.