7.29.2011

Blue Breezy Beach

Confession: the beach was never my thing. Although I grew up in Hawaii, the beach never became my friend. I never longed to go for a swim in blue waters or pined to make sand castles on the shore. Sure, when I was younger, fuzzy memories of me and my brothers digging huge holes in the sand and wading in crystal blue waters do appear, but there aren't very many of them.
As I grew older, it seemed I grew out of the beach even more like an old pair of clothes. It just never fit. My parents rarely took us and I never found many other ways of going.

So the past few months have shown a complete contradiction to any of the above notes. I suddenly long for salty air, emerald waters, speckled shells, and warm sand.

Now one of my favorite things to do is grab a snorkel and face mask, rush into foamy waters, and dive headlong into a surreal underwater world.

My brothers and I try to go to a (new) beach every week, savoring our time together before my older brother leaves for college next month. Sniffle.

Last week I even tried my skills at some body surfing, and although I got pounded into the sand (literally and violently) I actually view that moment as one of the most exhilarating parts of our beach-day adventure!


Today when we pulled into the driveway of one of our favorite spots along this island's coast, we were told a shark had been sighted. Therefore we all dove straight in a started searching -- just kidding. Therefore we went to a different beach to escape from peril. It just so happens the beach we evacuated to has olivine present in it's sands (it originates from lava rock). Since the water there wasn't necessarily ideal I found myself compulsively foraging for olivine along the shore. My older brother an I amassed quite a pile of the pretty green specks.




















These two pictures are of completely anonymous people from behind. I just couldn't resist snapping a shot or two. Especially of the couple on the right. Their stripped towels, umbrella, and shirts were so picturesque it was inevitable.
Oh, and I know, I know, my finger is peeking out on the bottom of the left hand shot. It adds something a little special, don't you think?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Kimberley!! What camera do you use?

    Abi}
    thesidewalksend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that post and the pics too! It's unbelievable how we change through time, specially our likes/ dislikes!
    xoxo,

    Sylvi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Abi. I use a Canon Powershot SD940 IS. Wow, that's a long name! Haha. Anywho, it's a very nice digital camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that you've taken pictures of random people (:
    these are some awesome shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimberly! I just found your blog, and I have to say that I love it!!

    I lived in Hawaii for 2 years and it was absolutely lovely! Oh and I love your name :))

    Great post, i'm definitely going to follow your blog!

    ~Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.