4.04.2011

Rhyming Wa-doodle


"Trees"

By: Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungy mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

***

Love this poem. I read it in my literature book a few days ago. There was a little passage about the author next to the poem, and it was so sad to read that he "was killed in France during World War I." Somehow I felt like I knew him a little, through his poetry.

4 comments:

  1. That is a lovely poem. Which literature book do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rose! I use A Beka Book's textbook called "American Literature." They have some wonderful stories/poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem! It's amazing how a simple poem can make you feel like you know the writer of it. God really did create something beautiful with words used in pure ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura: Yes, it is fasinating how simple, pure words are so meaningful. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.