7.07.2009

Rebel(ution)


I'm not sure whether all of you have heard of this particular awesome Christian website created by two radical teens names Alex and Brett Harris. They live in Oregon and have started a Rebelution throughout the USA and even the world. Their website is called The Rebelution.
Through God's calling and revelations, they rose up and decided to crush "low expectations" for teens and what the call "They Myth of Adolescence."
Basically, they believe that teens are under a lie that they should just "have fun" in their teenage years. In their book, "Do Hard Things," they expound upon these points in a very comprehensible, down-to-earth way which is not only inspiring, but life changing (if one is willing to make the sacrifice and live the way God intended).
I am reading their book at the moment and have found it very enlightening. There was a particular passage that really caught my attention because I have seen it happen in real life and have even said it myself.
Quotes from their book "Do Hard Things,"
"In this chapter, we'll look at one of the most important but challenging steps you can take to beat the tide of low expectations: reject complacency and choose to do hard things that go above and beyond what's required or expected of you.
"This choice goes right to the heard of what it means to be a rebelutionary. Without a doubt, pushing yourself to do more than is asked, expected, or required is nearly always a lonely choice. It can set you apart from friends, co-workers, other Christians, even family. As we'll see, the desire to do your best--even when no one around you requires it--takes a special kind of character. It puts you at odds with the accepted culture, which says 'Just do your best' but means something very different.
"Think about it. The common place phrase, 'Just do your best,' actually encourages the opposite. When someone says, 'Just do your best,' are you inspired to reach for more? Or does it feel like permission to just get by? We say, 'Hey, I did my best.' But did we really? More likely what we mean is, 'Hey, I gave it a show, and that'll have to be good enough.'
Believe it or now, the 'good enough' and 'just do your best' mind-sets actually stem from the enemy we met in the second chapter: the Myth of Adolescence." (p. 89)

Isn't that just crazy? I mean, it's so true. Whenever someone says, "Just do your best," I don't actually feel like doing my best--I actually now feel that if I don't do good it's alright because, hey, I'm pretty sure I did my best.

But, actually, that was not the passage I wanted to share--I got side tracked :P Alright, this is the real one which actually made me say, "Whoa!"
They relate this "myth" through a story :)

"Lindsey is in her second year of high school--her first at a private Christian school. Even among other Christian teens at school and church, Lindsey is the 'good girl' who seemingly never does anything wrong. She won't watch R-rated movies, wears a promise ring her dad gave her on her thirteenth birthday, and won't even date (or 'court,' as she puts it) until she's ready to get married. It doesn't make her highly popular among some of her peers, but she cares more about what the adults in her life think. And they praise her constantly--usually while they bemoan all of the 'bad stuff' other teens today are involved in.
"She loves it when she gets compliments from being such a 'wonderful girl,' but when Lindsey is honest, she knows she's become exceptional fro what she doesn't do. She doesn't attend wild parties, cause trouble, or want a tattoo. But what does she do? Is the Christian life all about avoiding 'bad stuff' or is it about doing 'good, hard stuff'' for God? Deep down Lindsey knows the answer, but she's already praised for being such a godly girl. Isn't that enough?
"Bre, a high-school senior...Following the service she overheard a man saying, 'Aren't you glad these kids aren't out smoking or drinking?'
"'That comment just broke my heart,' Bre wrote to us, 'because there truly is a level of mediocrity that has infiltrated not just our culture, but our churches as well.' Being considered a good teen only requires that we don't do bad stuff like taking drugs, drinking, and partying. But is it enough to be known for the negative things we don't do, or should we also be known fro the positive and difficult things that we do?" ("Do Hard Things," p. 96-97)

This was crazy true because I am constantly hearing people say things like, "Oh, yeah, at least their not doing drugs," and, etc., etc. So now our culture celebrates when teenagers (particularly) stay away from things and don't do certain things rather then praising them for doing certain things.
Confusing, but we are all living in this world are even Christians are blided by many of the lies our media feeds us.
But, really, teenagers need to stop relaxing in their teenage years and start stading up and taking action in our world.
Christians, especially, need to rise above averageness and even the worlds standard of "above-average" and stick to God's standards which are virtually unreachable because new ones are always arising.
Yet, it's actually really ironic (it's the only word I can think of) because through teenagers saying they only want to "have fun" while they are young, they are almost debasing themselves into the thought that they are incompatable to do harder tasks while they are in this stage of their lives.
It's as if they don't believe they can do anything more then hang out with friends and be completely enraptured with technological devices.
A sad thought and a lie from the devil.
We're wasting our most able years to idleness because we think that's what we're supposed to do, but God is calling us to higher things!
Now, I'm not saying that teenagers should start making their own businesses and doing crazy, expensive, ridiculous things, because at times that's not what God wants us to do.
Sometimes the smallest things can be the largest in God's eyes and the eyes of others. Simply making yourself available and trying your hand at new things in life is a way to start breaking the fetters of the Myth of Adolescence.
It's amazing, because I actually got this book from the most unlikely person in the world.
You see, I have a pen pal in Florida and I shared the website The Rebeultion with her. She joined and later wrote to me saying she had an extra book called, "Do Hard Things."
She asked if I wanted it and I, of course, said yes.
I don't think I ever would have gotten this books unless through her because I'm not the kind of person who buys devotionals or even reads them.
My family pretty much sticks to the Bible.
But God knew I needed this book and it's really helped me a lot.
Seeing that I'm on a spiritual topic I've been wanting to write down a few Bible verses which I found while reading the Bible and especially love.

Romans 13:8 "Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law."

Romans 14:19 "Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another."

14:22 "Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves."

15:13 "Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

1 Corinthians 9: 24-27 "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for and imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. This I fight: not as one who beats the air: But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Kimberly! I'm so glad that God is using the Rebelution to work in you! It's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) Yeah, that book has definitely been a great help and reading the Bible has been, too. Thanks for all your support!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same for me... the Rebelution has been amazing! So has reading God's Word; I love spending time in it. Anything for a sister in Christ! And thank you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments inspire me.